Thread: Opinion? Q3TA??

beheader

Opinion? Q3TA??

Well while I'm working on other system enhancements, I was wondering how many of you are using the Team Arena version of Q3A.

I am understand that we have one or two ASWP servers running Q3A. I am wodnering if you guys want one of the home servers running it as well?

Any ideas? Comments? Watcha think??

Re: Opinion? Q3TA??

Well, we have TA.  However, we installed it once sometime ago, but it screwed up our Quake game.  After we installed TA, we had funky textures in Quake, like gray and white squares all over the place.  Also, the TA game installed correctly, but it was sooooo laggy for us.  Needless to say we uninstalled it.  We still have the game, but are hesitant to install again.

A D M I N I S T R A T E D NoBody's Avatar

i havnt made a  copy of the game yet to install it to...i dont like pyutting mods in the version that runs well......its on my list..so i can run down to CWs to give it a try.........soon..........
    Trees dont move, ride around them

Hey X--

The problem a lot of us were having with missing textures after installing Q3TA was because of a custom map we all aready had, The Bad Place, q3q1dm4. There was a bad shader in it. Beefcake edited the shader and fixed it, and the version he fixed is what is available for downloading on the maps page of the ASWP site. Try downloading that version of the map and then install Q3TA and see if it works.

And then come on over and harvest some skulls at my place!

Also, Q3TA was laggy for me when I first installed it, but there is an extra setting in the system menu (or somewhere in the menus) for compressing textures.  Turn this on if it isn't already, and a lot of the lagginess disappears.

Compressing textures also helps regular Q3 but you have to activate it with a console command or in your autoexec.cfg.  I'm not sure what the exact command is.  I'll post it when I get home this evening.

ASWP Server Co-Admin GroinKloth_ASWP's Avatar

author=madam_X link=board=501&num=992848018&start=0#1 date=06/18/01 at 08:46:29]
    Well, we have TA. However, we installed it once sometime ago, but it screwed up our Quake game. After we installed TA, we had funky textures in Quake, like gray and white squares all over the place. Also, the TA game installed correctly, but it was sooooo laggy for us. Needless to say we uninstalled it. We still have the game, but are hesitant to install again.
    X and 00,

There is a patch for TA and it made mine much more stable and less laggy. I think they claim that frames improve up to 20%. You may want to check id's website for the patch for TA. It helped my performance for sure.

Seperately, if you have Rocket Arena 3 and have downloaded a map called realmra3.pk3 this map was a file with corrupted shaders as well. Delete this sucker. I had the funky gray squares too. All gone now!

This has been your GroinKloth tip-o-the-day #2. ;D
    Gorgonzola, provolone. Don't even get me started on this microphone.

Hmmmm. . .

Didn't know about the TA patch.  Gonna go look for it now.  You're just a font of useful information, Groin.

The command for compressed textures is

seta r_ext_compressed_textures 1

Put that on a separate line in your autoexec.cfg file, or bring down the console and type it in manually.  If you type it in, do it for BOTH Q3A and Q3TA because they have separate q3config files.