Thread: Feedback needed...

beheader

Feedback needed...

Clan,

Well gettting a forum up and running led to a lot of modification on the system.... a lot more than I ever expected. But as more and more of our server systems move to Linux who could have expected different.

Anyhow, there have been major changes made in how this system passes packets to the internet. This should be a major improvement for everyone. (I actually saw both the FFA and CTF servers full today).

So post comments if needed.... please remember I cannot do anything about pings or latency when they occur outide the ASWP system.

Re: Feedback needed...

I will as soon as I get Q3 re-installed as I'm fiddlin around with some new scsi drives I just got  ;D

beheader

author=Fragmiester link=board=501&num=993162548&start=0#1 date=06/22/01 at 02:04:24]
    I will as soon as I get Q3 re-installed as I'm fiddlin around with some new scsi drives I just got ;D
    Ohhhhhh SCSI.... the drive archetecture of champions!

just a tracert for ya everything looks good ;D
    ================================================== =
    === VisualRoute report on 23-Jun-01 7:36:01 PM ===
    ================================================== =

Report for 64.81.224.248

Analysis: '64.81.224.248' was found in 10 hops (TTL=246). It is a HTTP server (running Apache/1.3.14 (Unix) (Red-Hat/Linux) mod_ssl/2.7.1
    OpenSSL/0.9.5a PHP/4.0.3pl1).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----
    | Hop | %Loss | IP Address | Node Name | Location | Tzone | ms | Graph | Network |
    ----
    | 0 | | 192.168.0.4 | Skid | ... | | | | (private use) |
    | 1 | | 12.15.89.254 | - | ?Sault Ste Marie,, MI 49783 | | 4 | x- | Iceberg Computers |
    | 2 | | 12.125.121.105 | - | ?Middletown, NJ 07748 | | 15 | x-- | AT&T ITS |
    | 3 | | 12.123.193.70 | gbr2-p27.cgcil.ip.att.net | Chicago, IL, USA | -6.0 | 17 | x-- | AT&T ITS |
    | 4 | | 12.122.5.222 | gbr3-p00.cgcil.ip.att.net | Chicago, IL, USA | -6.0 | 17 | x-- | AT&T ITS |
    | 5 | | 12.122.5.1 | gbr5-p60.cgcil.ip.att.net | Chicago, IL, USA | -6.0 | 21 | -x- | AT&T ITS |
    | 6 | | 12.123.193.102 | ar1-p3110.chgil.ip.att.net | - | | 24 | -x------- | AT&T ITS |
    | 7 | | 12.124.126.10 | serial2-1-0.att.gw.chg.pnap.net | - | | 18 | x-- | AT&T ITS |
    | 8 | | 64.94.32.75 | border6.ge4-1-bbnet2.chg.pnap.net | - | | 17 | x-- | InterNAP Network Services/Chicago II |
    | 9 | | 64.94.35.193 | spk-1-chi.dsl-isp.net | ?Seattle, WA 98121 | | 34 | -x-- | Speakeasy |
    | 10 | | 64.81.224.248 | ASWP | ?Chicago, IL 60523 | | 37 | --x- | Speakeasy Network DSL |
    ----
    VisualRoute Report for 64.81.224.248 produced at 7:36 PM on June 23, 2001.
    Roundtrip time to 64.81.224.248 (64.81.224.248) average = 37ms min = 27ms max = 55ms
    Just one fix.

Please understand I'm not bitching here. Our connection to ASWP Prime has been >300 on peak hours with lots of connection interrupts over the last week. I never know if it is the ISP, or changes on the server. It seems a good deal of the members are doing fine and if some bandwidth is the sacrifice to accomodate the recent influx of members and usage, thats cool. The mouth breathers @home haven't a clue and neither do I. Is proximity to the server necessarily a factor in connection speed?

ASWP Server Co-Admin GroinKloth_ASWP's Avatar

author=scrOOs link=board=501&num=993162548&start=0#4 date=06/24/01 at 00:28:17]
    Please understand I'm not bitching here. Our connection to ASWP Prime has been >300 on peak hours with lots of connection interrupts over the last week. I never know if it is the ISP, or changes on the server. It seems a good deal of the members are doing fine and if some bandwidth is the sacrifice to accomodate the recent influx of members and usage, thats cool. The mouth breathers @home haven't a clue and neither do I. Is proximity to the server necessarily a factor in connection speed?
    Have Be! do a reverse tracert to you. Send hom a private message and he will be able to do a tracert (I think) to your computer. Then you can figure out where the bottleneck/wacky routing is.

Great RA3 games last night scr00s!

Brad

HTH
    Gorgonzola, provolone. Don't even get me started on this microphone.

Thanks Groin,

Ya I think Be answered my question on another thread. The network seems to be a non-static organism and the "weather" changes constantly. Its likely that this storm will blow over eventually. I remember Beef, Beguiler and others had a breif period where their cnx was most unmanageable. I thought I had a newfound advantage on these goofs! Wrong! Their back and splattering my dumb arse against the wall!! AArrgh!!!

Good RA Games last night!!! :D

[quote]author=scrOOs link=board=501&num=993162548&start=0#4 date=06/24/01 at 00:28:17]

OK, I'm responding to myself. Got in ASWP Prime this afternoon..........50 Ping. I'll just shut the hell up. :-X

Well my connection to ASWP has gone down the shitters. At night I average 300 ping. Sometimes as high 500 :-/

For the last month or so the only time my connection is normal with a LPB connection to ASWP is first thing in the morning. I have been doing some tracking myself. No trace routes, but good old watch and learn type stuff. I have noticed that as a whole everyones pings have gone up on ASWP. And in most cases it is not a isolated occurrence. It seems that at the same time several players pings jump well above there norms. Now im not saying this is beheaders fault. And I mean no offence whatsoever, but common sense tells me that if most of us are experiencing odd high pings, and in some cases 300+ms jumps, then it might be a server related bandwidth prolem. Think there might be any truth to this beeheader? Or could this be just a coincidence and mybe just ISP related?

beheader

author=maleficarus link=board=501&num=993162548&start=5#8 date=06/24/01 at 23:23:40]
    Well my connection to ASWP has gone down the shitters. At night I average 300 ping. Sometimes as high 500 :-/

For the last month or so the only time my connection is normal with a LPB connection to ASWP is first thing in the morning. I have been doing some tracking myself. No trace routes, but good old watch and learn type stuff. I have noticed that as a whole everyones pings have gone up on ASWP. And in most cases it is not a isolated occurrence. It seems that at the same time several players pings jump well above there norms. Now im not saying this is beheaders fault. And I mean no offence whatsoever, but common sense tells me that if most of us are experiencing odd high pings, and in some cases 300+ms jumps, then it might be a server related bandwidth prolem. Think there might be any truth to this beeheader? Or could this be just a coincidence and mybe just ISP related?
    Well, if you are using a cable provider and the segment you are on is overloaded.... you will gain latency when all those other computers fire up and start surfing. A cable network is shared.... which means that you are sharing that 4 or ten Mb down and 128Mb up with like a 1000 of your neighbors. Which means that perhaps in the evening.... things get dicey.

The issues having to do with our connectivity have to do with businesses firing up during the week... during the day the internet back bones are busiest with business trafffic which is chock full of vlans and packet tunneling. At night the cable networks pick up steam as people go home and turn their computers on, and start surfing.

As I have recommended before: Cable modems are not *always* (sometimes) a good solution for gamers. One for instance: You have 4Mb down and 128 up, and you play Quake III. The best setting for your net rate is for ISDN (Not cable modem or XDSL). Why? Because at XDSL setting a Quake III client throws out more than 56k of bandwidth. (Remember- usable bandwidth for gaming is one half your max- since after that point- latency starts to build.)

Just my two cents.... however, if you send me a trace route I will see if there is an offending router.

Thankz for the explaination bee. I have never really been happy with my cable modem. And I know in my area its not packed as rogers@home confirmed that to me. I'm one of about 6 people in my immediate area that uses a cable modem. Canada is mostly DSL ready now. So alot of customers have switched to BELL Canada and dsl for there internet needs. You would think that Rogers@home would be better off. But I have not noticed any improvments whatsoever. I have made several complaints to CRTC (Candian radio telecommunications commision) but all I got back from them was "thank you for your complaint. We have now put it in a big ass file folder titled your SOL"

LOL

Anyways....