Well it looks fixed...

For the geeks:

I can't say for certain what the problem was with the original router, other than the mainboard came up fried.

After adding another main board I decided to do some re-config to get my backups (which run nightly) to bypass the main router and run over a hardware router configed as a bridge. Well it worked, and in the process I was getting these crashes while running the backup routine.... and I found a really bad ethernet cable that was causing like 10 percent packet loss.

I do not know if this has been contributing to the problems some of your guys have been having, but I would ask that you test it out and let me know.