Thread: All is well... please read...

beheader

All is well... please read...

Well I have recieved about 8 offers of donations of money from ASWP'rs to cover the cost of the router that went down.

I really appreciate that from the bottom of my heart.

However, this network also serves my business and based on that I am not in need of donations. Please keep your money this is a non-commercial system.

However, as I have mentioned previously, I will accept donations of aged hardware up to and including your old computer. The most needed components at this time are hard drives (2 to 8 gig), NIC cards (I'm out and need to multihome some things- 10Mb is fine). Also, and this would be a find- I need a Quantum Fireball IDE 4gig drive that was scalped out of a newer Mac as a raid match for the mail server. These are things that are truly needed, and will be used to further the system and it's performance.

So far I have recieved the donation of one 4Gig drive from Justin (nobody), and I am expecting some misc. things (Including a 2 gig drive) from Fragmiester. Any additional donations would be appreciated in the next 30 days, after that I'm going to fill in what I need with an outright purchase.

So ENJOY the system. It's free and staying that way. However, if you have it to give, I'll take your computer crapola and do interesting things with it. I mean who needs an ISA video card, or ten Mb ISA Ethernet card?? I do- that's who! The ASWP system was built on old scavenged machines. There are many *wowser* machines running here, but our linux boxes are very very marginal (450Mhz is the fastest!), the mail server runs on a 300Mhz Cyrix, Network monitor runs on a 233Mhz PII, the main router is an OSX box running on a 266Mhz G3. Not very flashy.

But as the system has transitioned away from Classic Mac OS and Win2K, I envision more linux and OSX running here. In fact that is my plan: To move all the PC's to Linux and all the Macs (where compatible) to OSX. Let's face it.... the license I would need for Win2K to do the things that we do here at ASWP would cost over $64,000.00. I know- I priced it. So far our cost for Linux has been $57.60- ain't it a gas?

Anyhow, as I mentioned the ASWP system is a beta for things I do professionally, and is my little toy that I love and feed and grow. I love doing what we do here- your money is not needed.

However, I'll take your computer trash if you have it.

Re: All is well... please read...

:D hehe.  Well, we still have our first computer and all of it's original components from 2.5 yrs ago.  We've done no upgrades yet, so sorry, no crapola to give you from us.....YET.  However, we may be upgrading soon, if we do I'll let you know of what we have and if you want it, it's yours.

I sent you this before through the list server and didn't hear from you, so you may have overlooked it. What I got:

Socket 7 mobo w/ MMX Pentium 233. The board has 6 SIMM slots and 2 DIMM slots.

200 MHz Pentium processor.

Slot 1 mobo that came out of a Gateway system. Unknown chipset. Standard ATX. No jumpers and BIOS won't let you change processor settings, so the only processor known to work in it is the one that came with it, which was a Slot 1 Pentium III 500 MHz w/ 100 MHz FSB. Friend gave mobo to me after upgrading but kept the processor.

PCI SCSI card, 50 pin (it's an Advansys card but it came with a Jaz drive so it shows up in Device Manager as Iomega Jaz Jet)

ISA SCSI 50 pin board for an internal drive only that came with an early Zip Drive. Jumpers, not plug and play.

PCI Diamond Fire GL video card w/ 8 MB that I can't get to work w/ WinMe or Win2K, although at one time it worked w/ Win98

A $hitpot full of old ISA Network cards. I really can't remember where they came from. I think I got them in a trade.

MSI Socket 370 processor to Slot 1 mobo adapter. It definitely works with MSI mobos, but it's hit and miss with others.

Gimme an address and tell me what you want.

Hey Be, do you have any use for 64m of pc100 sd RAM?

beheader

author=madam_X link=board=501&num=993846489&start=0#3 date=07/02/01 at 13:20:43]
    Hey Be, do you have any use for 64m of pc100 sd RAM?
    Yup.... could put it in the web server!

beheader

author=CrackWhore ASWP link=board=501&num=993846489&start=0#2 date=06/29/01 at 16:26:17]
    I sent you this before through the list server and didn't hear from you, so you may have overlooked it. What I got:

Socket 7 mobo w/ MMX Pentium 233. The board has 6 SIMM slots and 2 DIMM slots.

200 MHz Pentium processor.

Slot 1 mobo that came out of a Gateway system. Unknown chipset. Standard ATX. No jumpers and BIOS won't let you change processor settings, so the only processor known to work in it is the one that came with it, which was a Slot 1 Pentium III 500 MHz w/ 100 MHz FSB. Friend gave mobo to me after upgrading but kept the processor.

PCI SCSI card, 50 pin (it's an Advansys card but it came with a Jaz drive so it shows up in Device Manager as Iomega Jaz Jet)

ISA SCSI 50 pin board for an internal drive only that came with an early Zip Drive. Jumpers, not plug and play.

PCI Diamond Fire GL video card w/ 8 MB that I can't get to work w/ WinMe or Win2K, although at one time it worked w/ Win98

A $hitpot full of old ISA Network cards. I really can't remember where they came from. I think I got them in a trade.

MSI Socket 370 processor to Slot 1 mobo adapter. It definitely works with MSI mobos, but it's hit and miss with others.

Gimme an address and tell me what you want.

Stephen,

Let me see what somes in from Frag before I take this stuff.

I Understand he is sending me a "Gift Basket".