Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mail List V.S. Web Forums...

beheader

Mail List V.S. Web Forums...

Well guys.... now that we have the forums up and running I'll let them run for a few days and see what happens. Already I am feeling like this is a good move, and I REALLY like this particular system- and it's FREE!!

So I'll be posting here for the most part to give the system a tryout. Once it get's approved by the membership, we can talk about what to do with the mail list....

As a note the admin list will stay in place for the Admins and Co-Admins to chat in private about some of the issues involved with running the various servers. So that list will remain intact and un-touched.

BEHEADER!

Re: Mail List V.S. Web Forums...

I personaly think that a message board is a possitive thing for any clan. Its a easy way for us to communicate without cluttering our email servers up. Now its a matter of clicking on what we want to read, when we want to read it. Anyways this is a sweet board. I love the layout. And coming form me this is a good thing as i'm a message board rat. :

good job bee...

beheader

author=maleficarus link=board=501&num=992481268&start=0#1 date=06/13/01 at 19:32:03]

I personaly think that a message board is a possitive thing for any clan. Its a easy way for us to communicate without cluttering our email servers up. Now its a matter of clicking on what we want to read, when we want to read it. Anyways this is a sweet board. I love the layout. And coming form me this is a good thing as i'm a message board rat. :

good job bee...
    Thanks man!! It was a lot of work! But damn worth it!

Also, everyone keep me informed of performance issues and the like... I'm sure we are ok since I have a lot of processor behind the board- but it never hurts to watch!!

BEHEADER!

BuddMann

your perfoming wonderfully

budd

beheader

author=BuddMann link=board=general&num=992481268&start=0#3 date=06/14/01 at 18:45:52]
    your perfoming wonderfully

budd
    LOL!

wOOt!!
    "Praise Be to the Emperor,Pass the ammo......"

I very much prefer this over the mail server. On last look,
    we had nearly 400 e-mails in the in-box (X hates to delete [you never know when you'll need it!]) A great deal of these are seperate threads on a variety of subjects. The forum, with colors and pictures and smileys really bring out the awesome attitude and personality that we have amongst us. Mail can't do dat. ;D Me dig.

A D M I N I S T R A T E D NoBody's Avatar

??? this seems a logical place for this

2 questions Be

1)the mail list makes a quick way for peeps to look for a admin/co to comre in if a kick or rotation problem occurs..rare i know....do you/anyone feel the board is a quick in a situation as such?..most peeps email always on.......

2) As far as posting pics....like Skins to show...??

Trees dont move, ride around them

beheader

author=NoBody link=board=general&num=992481268&start=5#7 date=06/15/01 at 09:06:17]
    ??? this seems a logical place for this

2 questions Be

1)the mail list makes a quick way for peeps to look for a admin/co to comre in if a kick or rotation problem occurs..rare i know....do you/anyone feel the board is a quick in a situation as such?..most peeps email always on.......

2) As far as posting pics....like Skins to show...??
    #1 Well yes this is true- the mail list is more "right now" assuming that an admin is checking his mail every 5 or ten minutes. I'm not sure how to handle this. I know there are a few people who would not like to see the mail list go away, so I'm not killing it right now. However, at the rate we seem to be going, no one is using it. We do have a private admins listserve up, and that is still in use in addition to the forum here (Only admins and co-admins have access- same as the mail list). Once I am sure that everything is functioning correctly (It is) I will look into altering the perl code and see if I can get certain posts to forward to a list, and make a subsciption here also a subscription to a list. But I do not know if that will work at this time. We will have to see what unfolds. This system, like the mail system before it, does have strong and weak points. However if we were to judge success base on the number of posts so far you can imagine that this should be considered a BLAZING success.

#2 I certainly have no problem with skin previews being posted here. There is an ability to insert an image into a message and also to insert a link:

Along with some other really cool stuff like flash and the like.

We'll have to see what people want.... that's what I'm waiting for.... opinions and input.

BEHEADER!

What I'm wondering BE, is if its possible to attach files on this forum (I know some BB can) instead of linking offsite.

Like if I showed I pic I had on my HD, but not on a website, could I attach it to my message (which is prolly not a good thing to abuse, since then it would end up on YOUR HD)??

Cheers!  8)
    Dum Spiro Spero

A D M I N I S T R A T E D NoBody's Avatar

wasnt puting one above the other.. the forum or the list, at all Be.....its pretty sweet..just wonderings......not to be to stupib..but if i had a skin to post...how do i do that....ive lried to check all the nooks and cranies.....

second part....not all of us can link to a site fer such pics......er we could...just never set up a server yet...argx2

arg :o
    Trees dont move, ride around them

beheader

author=Maleficus ASWP link=board=general&num=992481268&start=5#9 date=06/15/01 at 09:46:52]
    What I'm wondering BE, is if its possible to attach files on this forum (I know some BB can) instead of linking offsite.

Like if I showed I pic I had on my HD, but not on a website, could I attach it to my message (which is prolly not a good thing to abuse, since then it would end up on YOUR HD)??

Cheers! 8)
    Well, in preparing to put this system up I put in about 10 gigs of space.... we'll never use it up. I'm not concerned about that.

However this is GPL software and you can be sure that I will be modifying it to suit our needs.... and file attachments are something I am interested in.

On the otherhand.... having people upload file attachments that are not properly compressed creates an issue.... so I do like linking better.

But again.... all these things are options... and we will have to see what our needs are as we continue to grow.

I still have a few tricks up my sleeve! I'm not the "Elvis" of system admins for nothing!!

8)

BEHEADER!

Oh, I agree with you 100% there! If someone uploaded something not compressed, it would be a pain. Its not something I was really thinking about using, just something thats nice to have there if I find something particularly funny or relevant, yet can't link it.

One board I go to, has a filesize limit of 100k (which is too much, we could limit it to 20k, or 50k tops) and that seems to work well for them. They are told in writing, when they try to attach a file, about the limit - and if they ignore it, the file won't be loaded if its too big.

Just an idea.
    Dum Spiro Spero

beheader

author=Maleficus ASWP link=board=general&num=992481268&start=10# 12 date=06/15/01 at 10:14:26]
    Oh, I agree with you 100% there! If someone uploaded something not compressed, it would be a pain. Its not something I was really thinking about using, just something thats nice to have there if I find something particularly funny or relevant, yet can't link it.

One board I go to, has a filesize limit of 100k (which is too much, we could limit it to 20k, or 50k tops) and that seems to work well for them. They are told in writing, when they try to attach a file, about the limit - and if they ignore it, the file won't be loaded if its too big.

Just an idea.
    Can you give me the URL??

Lemme check it out....

BEHEADER!

I like the forums Be, nice work!  Yet Another BB

I really prefer the mail list simply because with email you can have all of the discussion "come to you" in one place.  I have frequented many web forums before, and I end up visiting them less frequently after a while as I frequent a different one.  With email, I'm subscribed to 31 mailing lists (though many of them are related (IE many GNOME lists, many FreeBSD lists)) which I periodically scan for interesting stuff (of course I don't have the time to read 90 percent of it (though I do read all of the aswp posts, honest )).

If the mailing list *did* disappear in the future, I would have to force myself to visit the page.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast